Monday 14 May 2018

Uluthankali (Karupatti uluthankali)

It is my 100'th recipe. Thank you my dear friends and relatives for your continual support and encouraging me in making my recipe feel special. I was really breaking my head to make my 100th recipe so special. I was literally trying with Italian Panna cota, French Ratatouille and what not, but something hit my head so strong that no other recipes stands before our traditional dish, ya that too South Indian "Nellai Uluthan (karupatti) kali". This recipe was published in Aval Kitchen magazine in 2016. (Uluthankali)


Ingredients:

Urad dal flour - 4 cup
Rice flour - 1cup
Water - 2 1/2 cup
Karuppati (Palm Jaggery) - 1 cup
Gingelly Oil - 1/4 cup

Preparation Method:

1. Dry roast Rice flour and Urad dal flour in medium flame until nice aroma arises. Ensure colour of flour doesn't get changed.



2. In a separate pan, mix jaggery powder in 2 1/2 cup water and allow it to boil, until jaggery completely dissolves. Filter jaggery syrup to remove impurities.



3. In a separate vessel mix jaggery syrup and roasted flour evenly. Ensure no lumps are formed. Now add this to heavy bottom kadai and stir it continuously in low flame.



4. Once the raw smell of mixture vanish off, add little gingelly oil and mix well.



5. Slowly add rest of the gingelly oil and ensure it is evenly spread and mixed well in low flame. Once it turns non sticky consistency, switch off the flame.



6. Allow the mixture to cool off. Apply oil in hands and make balls out of it. Serve it warm .

Tips:

1. Always add flour to jaggery syrup separately and then add to pan.
2. Use black urad dal flour, which is more healthy.

1 comment: