Thursday 23 March 2017

Palapazha paayasam/ Jackfruit Paayasam

Jack fruit is one of my best fruit I love. Whenever smell of jack fruit tempts me I immediately buy it. My dad used to get it for me in my childhood days and I used to eat it along with honey. This payasam my mom used to make whenever my sister is back to home after marriage. She too loves it too much. It is very simple and quite easy to make if all ingredients are ready.


Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves : 4 nos

Ingredients:

Juicy Jack fruit - 1/4 kg (seedless)
Jaggery - 1 cup
Moong dal - 3 tablespoon
Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Cashewnut - 10 nos
Coconut piece - 3 nos (finely chopped)
Ghee - 2 tablespoon
Salt - 1 pinch
Water - to boil

Method:

1. Fry coconut pieces and cashewnut in ghee and keep it separate.
2. Wash and pressure cook moong dal for 3 whistle, smash and keep aside.
3. To the finely chopped jack fruit, add a cup of water and boil it in separate open pan for 10 mins.
4. In a non-stick pan add 1 cup powdered jaggery and 1/2 cup water and boil it in low flame until jaggery dissolves.
5. Filter jaggery syrup to remove all impurities.
6. To the filtered jaggery syrup add smashed moong dal and boiled jack fruit and allow it to cook for 10 mins in medium flame, until semi thick consistency is attained.
7. Add coconut milk, cardamom powder and a pinch of salt to the payasam and cook for 5 mins in low to medium flame.
8. Switch off the flame and finally add roasted cashew nuts and coconut along with ghee.

Serve it hot. Yummy jack fruit payasam is ready.

Tips:

1. Don't pressure cook jack fruit, when it is boiled in open pan and added to payasam you could feel pieces of jack fruit while eating payasam it gives additional taste.
2. After adding coconut milk don;t boil the payasam.
3. A pinch of salt added to any sweet will enhance the sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment