Friday 19 February 2016

Idli Milagai Podi


Idli Milagai Podi/ Ellu Milagai podi is my favourite sidedish for Idli/Dosa. My mom when ever make new Idli podi she will call me to taste it. Immediately I will ask her to make special dosa or idli. Still craving for idli podi when it is newly made never stops :). My mom used to make this podi which taste too good. I love that recipe and learnt from her. Still whenever I go to my home she used to make me new podi and give me with dosa/adai.

Ingredients :

Channa dhall - 1/2 cup
Urud dhall -1/2 cup
Black sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
Red Chilli -16-20 nos 
Garlic cloves - 20 nos
Curry leaves - few
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Salt - as needed
Asafoetida - 1/2 teaspoon

 

Method :

1. In a kadai, add oil saute channa dhall and urud dhall until it become golden brown colour. Make sure it doesn't get burnt.
2. Now add chilli and dry roast it.
3. Once chilli is roasted, dry roast sesame seed until it crackles out.
4. Finally roast garlic and curry leaves.


5. Allow all the above roasted ingredients to cool off.
6. Powder all the ingredients by adding needed salt and asafoetida.
7. Powder it finely and have it with hot Idli/dosa along with Sesame oil.

Tips :

1. Instead of black sesame seed, white can be used. But black sesame seeds have good taste than white sesame seed.
2. Garlic cloves gives good taste to this podi. 
3. If podi becomes old, dry roast garlic, curry leaves and grind again with podi. This will give good aroma and taste,

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, I can smell that aroma...sure it would be amazing in taste

    ReplyDelete